Lakmahal’s primary purpose in hosting events is to support our objectives–to promote access to our collection of literature and to create a space that encourages the appreciation of and participation in the creative literary arts. We encourage all those interested in furthering these objectives to reach out to us about using the space for events. The space will be available for private and public events, and offered to nonprofit civic, cultural and educational organisations, as well as for profit organisations. However, priority will be given to public events and programmes focused on literature, creative writing, storytelling, and broader engagement with the literary arts. See “Types of events and programmes” below for some examples.
Lakmahal has four spaces available for public use. They are the main library hall, the wood room, the half moon verandah and the garden. The capacity in the rooms are:
Main library hall: This space has a capacity of 40-80 persons. It can seat up to 60 individuals in chairs arranged in theater style, or 22 people seated at tables and 20 people on the floor cushions. When this space is used for events, the library cannot be open to the public.
Wood room: This space has a capacity of 40-70 persons. It can seat up to 40 individuals in chairs arranged in theater style, or 25 people seated at tables and 10 people on the floor.
Half moon verandah: This space has a capacity of 20 people and can seat up to 20 individuals in chairs only or 10 people seated at tables.
Garden: The two garden spaces have a capacity of 60 – 100 people. The square garden in front of the Half Moon Verandah can accommodate 30 people seated theater style, or 20 people seated at tables. There is standing space for 30. The long front garden can accommodate 40 people seated theater style and 30 people at tables.
Please also note that Lakmahal does not have dedicated parking. All vehicles need to be parked on Alfred House Road or in the vicinity and not along the access road to the library.
The Library Manager, in consultation with the designated Board Member(s) will authorize use of the spaces and maintain the schedule of events. If a question is raised as to the objectives and/or activities of any group or organization requesting use of the spaces, the LCL Board of Directors has the final authority in granting or refusing permission for use of the rooms.
Library working hours are 9am to 6pm from Wednesdays to Sundays (closed on mercantile holidays). Events outside these hours will be scheduled by the Library Manager.
User Protocol and Policies
- All organisers must complete an application form and pay the relevant fees at the point of application in order to reserve the date and time. Fees will be refunded if the application is refused.
- LCL reserves the right to cancel any reservation with 48 hours notice. In such cases there will be a full refund of the fees paid in advance. Organisers may also cancel any reservation up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled event. If organisers cancel the event less than 48 hours before its scheduled time, no refund will be given.
- LCL spaces may not be used to hold religious events or for rallies, demonstrations or other similar political events.
- Activities involving more than normal wear and tear on the spaces will not be permitted, i.e. projects involving materials which might cause damage or any digging up of the lawn or garden. Classes or demonstrations involving the use of hazardous materials and/or weapons are not permitted.
- All activities carried out on the premises must be legal. Any illegal activity or uses which advocate or incite illegal activities are not permitted.
- Groups of individuals under 18 years of age may use the space for any of the above events but they must be accompanied by one adult for every 10 children in attendance.
- Organisers of events are responsible for ensuring that all participants are signed in to the space and that they adhere to all COVID-19 protocols as long as these are required by the LCL administration.
- Organisers are required to leave the spaces as they found them. The place must be cleaned, the furniture restored to its original positions and all waste disposed of in the bins provided.
- LCL cannot provide catering services but are happy for the organisers to do so. A sink is available near the front wall and can be used to wash crockery etc.
- Organisers are financially responsible for any damage caused to the building, the furniture, equipment and other property of LCL beyond the usual wear and tear. A refundable deposit will be retained at the point of application and refunded once the managers are happy that no damage has been incurred.
- The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the community library does not constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs.
There are seven rental categories, each with its own fee structure.
- Rental period must include pre-event set up and post-event clean up time.
- A refundable deposit of 50% of the total cost will be taken by LCL for all events to cover potential damages to furniture and fittings at the venue.
- Organisers will be required to pay 50% of the total as an initial payment along with the refundable deposit
- Members are entitled to a 15% discount on all costs
|Private events reserving the whole library, during which the library is closed to non-attendees, during or outside of library hours.|
|Cost of space for up to 4 hours||Rs.18,000|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 4,000|
|Public events with a participation fee for attendees, during which the library is closed to all non-attendees.|
|Cost of space for up to 4 hours||Rs.15,000|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 3,000|
|Private events reserving one particular space, during which the rest of the library is still open to the public.|
|Cost of space for 4 hours or less||Rs.12,000|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 2,500|
|Public events with a participation fee for attendees, during which the rest of the library is still open to non-attendees.|
|Cost of space for 4 hours or less||Rs.10,000|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 2,000|
|Public events with free attendance for all, during which the library is closed to all non-attendees.|
|Cost of space for 4 hours or less ||Rs. 5,000.00|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 1,000.00|
|Public events with free attendance for all, during which the rest of the library is open to all non-attendees.|
|For events of this type, the space can be provided at no cost except for a refundable deposit of Rs. 5,000. Organisers of such events are encouraged to do so in collaboration with LCL.|
|Private events not focused on literature, creative writing, or story telling (e.g. private family functions, meetings, etc.) Member discount not applicable.|
|Cost of space for 4 hours or less||Rs. 30,000.00|
|Cost of each additional hour||Rs. 6,000.00|
Types of events and programmes
As stated above, LCL will prioritize events with a focus on literature, creative writing, storytelling, and broader engagement with the literary arts. Some examples of such events and their rental category are given below.
- Book clubs – private and public
We encourage organising book clubs in the library spaces. Private book clubs will fall under Category 1 or 3, while public book clubs will likely be in category 5.
- Book launches
Lakmahal welcomes authors and publishers who wish to use the space for launching new publications that fit into the range of our preferred genres. This type of event will likely fall under Category 1.
- Performances, film showings and open mic sessions
It is likely that all performances, film shows and open mic sessions will take place in the Main library hall. These will, therefore, fall under Category 1 or 2, unless they are free for attendees, in which case they will be in Category 5.
- Talks and panel discussions
See “Performances, film showings and open mic sessions” above.
- Workshops and training programmes
These programmes may fall into any of the five categories, depending on their size and scope.
Exhibitions may fall into any of the five categories, depending on their size and scope, but will most likely fall under Category 4 or 5.
To book the space, please fill the form below and mail the completed form to email@example.com