The primary purpose of events is to support the library’s objectives, to promote access to LCL’s collection of literature, and to create a space that encourages the appreciation of and participation in the creative literary arts. The space will be available for private and public events, and offered to no-profit civic, cultural and educational organisations as well as organisations that are aiming to make a profit from the event. The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the library does not constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs. Using the spaces for political or religious purposes is not permitted.
The Library has four spaces available for public use. They are the main library hall, the wood room, the half moon verandah and the garden. The capacity in the rooms are:
Main library hall: This space has a capacity of 40-70 persons and can seat up to 40 individuals in chairs arranged in theater style, 22 people seated at tables and 20 people on the floor cushions. The standing space can accommodate around 30 persons with some spillover into the front verandah. This space can only be used for events when the library is not open to the public.
Wood room: This space also has a capacity of 40-70 persons and can seat up to 40 individuals in chairs arranged in theater style or 25 people seated at tables and 10 people on the floor. This room has standing room for 30 people.
Half moon verandah: This space has a capacity of 20 people and can seat up to 20 individuals in chairs only or 10 people seated at tables.
Garden: There are two garden spaces. The square garden in front of the Half Moon Verandah can accommodate 30 people in chairs only or standing, or 20 people seated at tables. There is standing space for 30. The long front garden can accommodate 40 people in chairs only or standing and 30 people at tables.
Please note that COVID-19 protocols currently limit all events to 40 persons.
Please also note that LCL does not have dedicated parking. All vehicles need to be parked on Alfred House Road or in the vicinity and not along the access road to the library.
The Library Manager, in consultation with the designated Board Member(s) will authorise use of the spaces and maintain the schedule of events. If a question is raised as to the objectives and/or activities of any group or organisation requesting use of the spaces, the LCL Board of Trustees has the final authority in granting or refusing permission for use of the rooms.
Types of events
It is expected that the spaces will be used for the type of events listed below. For all not-for-profit events, the space will be provided free of charge, with fees charged only to cover the costs of cleaning and staff time. Profit-making, commercial events will include a charge on the space. There also could be a premium surcharge if the space is being used for non-literary activities. Note that LCL does not have the capacity to provide refreshments at the events and that these costs will need to be met by the organisers. All organisers will be required to adhere to the protocols set by LCL.
- Book clubs – private and public: LCL will not charge any fees to Book Clubs organised and attended by members only, provided these member book clubs take place during Library opening hours. Outside Library hours, member book clubs will be required to pay a fee towards the cost of library personnel. LCL will charge a fee to cover cleaning services, utilities and library staff time for public book clubs organised by members and non-members of LCL. A similar fee will be charged for private book clubs which are organised and attended by non-members.
- Book Launches: LCL welcomes authors and publishers who wish to use the space to launch new publications that fit into the range of LCL’s preferred genres. It is envisaged that the majority of book launches will be organised jointly with LCL and that the cost of cleaning, utilities and staff time will be borne by LCL.
- Exhibitions: The nature of the exhibition and its contribution to the appreciation of creative literary art will determine what fees will be charged.
- Performances, Film shows and Open Mic sessions: It is likely that all performances, film shows and open mic sessions will take place in the Main library hall + entrance verandah and as such will need to take place outside Library hours. It is also likely that several of these events will be organised jointly with LCL. For those events being independently organised, fees relating to cost of cleaning, utilities and staff time will apply. For the collaborative events, the fees will be negotiated.
There will be a different fee structure for performances taking place outside of the Main Library Hall+entrance verandah (e.g.in the Garden and half moon verandah) and being organised during the library opening times.
- Talks and Panel discussions: Will be the same as above
- Workshops, training programmes: As above. LCL encourages workshops run by and for library members in collaboration with LCL.
Library working hours are 10am to 7pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Events outside these hours will be scheduled by the Library Manager.
Priority will be given to member-organised events and events organised collaboratively with LCL.
- LCL spaces may not be used to hold rallies, demonstrations or other similar political events.
- Groups of individuals under 18 years of age may use the space for any of the above events but they must be accompanied by one adult for every 10 children in attendance
- Activities involving more than normal wear and tear on the spaces will not be permitted, i.e. projects involving materials which might cause damage or any digging up of the lawn or garden. Classes or demonstrations involving the use of hazardous materials and/or weapons are not permitted.
- All activities must be legal. Any illegal activity or uses which advocate or incite illegal activities are not permitted.
- All organisers must complete an application form and pay the relevant fees at the point of application in order to reserve the date and time. Fees will be refunded if the application is refused, but there will be no refund if the organisers cancel the event less than 48 hours before its scheduled time.
- LCL reserves the right to cancel any reservation with 48 hours notice. In such cases there will be full refund of the fees paid in advance.
- Organisers of events are responsible for ensuring that all participants are signed in to the space and that they adhere to all COVID-19 protocols as long as these are required by the LCL administration.
- Organisers are required to leave the spaces as they found them. The place must be cleaned, the furniture restored to its original positions and all waste disposed of in the bins provided.
- LCL cannot provide catering services but are happy for the organisers to do so. A sink is available near the front wall and can be used to wash crockery etc.
- The organisers are financially responsible for any damage caused to the building, the furniture, equipment and other property of LCL beyond the usual wear and tear. A refundable deposit will be retained at the point of application and refunded once the managers are happy that no damage has been incurred.
|Cost of space (for non-members)||Rs. 3,000|
|Cost of 4 hour event (cleaning and staff)||Rs. 7,500|
|Cost of 6 hour event (cleaning and staff)||Rs. 10,500|
|A refundable deposit will be taken by LCL for all events to cover potential damages |
to furniture and fittings at the venue