The Lakmahal Community Library has several membership categories. Prospective members must fill out an application form to register for a new library card. This form can be filled at the library premises, or at www.lakmahal.lk/become-a-member.
|Quarterly||Rs 2500.00 per quarter|
|Annual||Rs 5,000.00 per annum|
|Student – Quarterly||Rs 2000.00 per quarter|
|Student – Annual||Rs 4,000.00 per annum|
Membership will be activated upon initial payment and a membership card will be issued. Cards will be valid as long as membership dues are up to date. All borrowers must be registered and must have a valid membership card to borrow library materials.
Identification is required. Passport or national ID is preferred; however, any other official ID may be acceptable. Students must provide proof of enrollment in an academic program such as a student ID.
Children under 16 years of age must have a parent or guardian provide their consent in the form of a signature and their ID before a new card can be issued. This parental ID is not required for children who are renewing cards.
Members are responsible for all items borrowed with the library card issued in their name, including items borrowed with it by others with or without their consent unless they have previously reported the loss of the card.
Library website and online catalogue
The library catalogue is available online at www.library.lakmahal.lk. When a membership is activated, a member is automatically registered for an account on the website. Members can log in using their member card number and the temporary password (Lak1701!) to set their official password.
Terms and conditions of membership:
- For the first three months of membership, members can have a maximum of one (1) book checked out at a time.
- After the first three months, members can have a maximum of six (6) books checked out at a time.
- The loan period for books is 21 days.
- A loan may be renewed for an additional 21 days, if there is no waiting list for the title.
- Renewal requests can be submitted through a member’s online account or by emailing or calling the library during open hours.
- Reserves for books may be placed by members in person, over the phone, or online. Members will be notified by email or phone call when the books are available. There is no charge to the member for placing a reserve.
Lost or forgotten cards
- If a member loses their library card, they should notify the library as soon as possible and request a replacement.
- Members will be charged Rs. 300 for the replacement card.
- All members are expected to bring their library cards with them if they intend to check out items. An individual who repeatedly ignores this expectation may be denied the privilege of checking out materials until they present their card at the library. Library membership is not transferable to any other person.
Fines and charges
- There are no fines for late returns. Members will be informed when a book is overdue.
- However, if a book is 30 days or more overdue, the member will be charged a replacement fee of Rs. 5,000.
- If the overdue book is returned within 90 days of receiving the bill for replacement, the replacement fee will be canceled.
- Members who have been sent an overdue notice cannot check out books or place reserves until those overdue materials are returned or paid for if lost and/or damaged.
- If library materials are damaged so as to be judged by the library as being unsuitable for the collection, the member must pay a replacement fee of Rs. 5,000.
- Replacement costs for lost or damaged books and membership cards are subject to change in the future.
- Members will be eligible for additional benefits, such as special membership activities organised by the library and discounts on selected events, that will be announced on the website and on the Library notice board.
- All members will have free access to Library WiFi. Non-members will have to pay a Rs. 200 fee per day for access.
- No smoking on the premises.
- No food allowed in the main library hall.
- Visitors are responsible for their own personal belongings. The Lakmahal Community Library will not be responsible for any loss or damage to personal property.
- Parking spaces are not available at the Library or on the private road adjoining it.
- Visitors may not remove any Library equipment or materials from the premises without authorisation from the librarian. Anyone who does will be subject to disciplinary action.